Monday, September 01, 2008

 

Zamami Island

Back from the Keramas. We had a FANTASTIC time. Sun, surf, friends...and fish! The first day, Joe took off w/ Masaki and his son, Kazuki to begin the hunting and provide food for the party Saturday night. Meanwhile, Gabe and I caught up on our sleep in the minshuku (Japanese inn...it had been a long, fussy evening the night before), watched some Japanese TV, and hung out at the local beach shack for some ice cream and playtime. When Joe got back, dinner was ready to be served at the minshuku: ginger pork, tofu/goya salad, fried fish and a bunch of other stuff.


Our minshuku - simple, clean, friendly, and like three minutes from the beach.


Gabe's first time in a high chair!


Here's the dinner the minshuku prepared for us. I was dying of hunger by the time it was ready, but it was tasty.



This ice cream/soba (noodle)shack, became our favorite hangout during our three days on island. I especially liked on the second day, when the sweet lady who ran the place offered to take Gabe off my hands while I ate and then she disappeared w/ him somewhere across the street. Perhaps surprisingly, it didn't phase me a bit. He just LOVES Okinawan women. I knew he'd be in good hands.


On the right, Masaki, Joe's co-worker/friend/spearfishing buddy and his son, Kazuki.


The next morning I got a little snorkel time. And we tried out Gabe's new swim gear.



I think I will love the above picture forever. Look at poor Gabe's eyes.



Mom...dad...what the hell are you doing to me?!


Chad and Kay joined us later on in the morning.




Then, Chad and Joe and Masaki and son went a spearin' and Kay, Gabe, and I got to bond on the beach w/ a bottle of chilled wine. This old man came up and told us we should try to bathe the baby naked this time, instead of in a bunch of clothes (like we'd done that morning.)

That night there was the party at Masaki's friend's place. Actually it was his friend's father's place. It was his 90th birthday and take a look at him jammin' on the harmonica!





Grillin' up the ocean's bounty. Joe speared that big mutha in the middle.


Uminchu.


A little music added to the festive atmosphere.

It was a really fun night. Everyone was so friendly to us. Joe was a rock star for his lobster/fish catching abilities! Gabe got lots of love from the girls. And I'm re-inspired to study Japanese. As we headed home, we took a look up at the sky and it was magical - so many stars. Just spectacular. I saw two shooting stars and Kay saw a whopping five. I wish I could have caught it on film. Well, here are a couple more pictures of our weekend instead. We spent one more day on Zamami before heading home. I saw a turtle while snorkeling and loads of humongous fish.



Lovin the view


Masaki's other son, Hedeki.



These guys were pretty scary


Shisa at the gate.


He was just chillin near the beach

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?