Tuesday, September 16, 2008

 

Random Shots

Well, I'll be! If Gabe didn't just fall asleep just now all by himself, without even a peep or a screech. Anyway, just wanted to get a few more pictures up of the goings on here. First off, Gabriel has started eating baby food. Yeah! He actually seems to really like it. I had big dreams of staying off the jarred stuff and making it all from scratch. But, I succumbed to convenience...for now at least and we have carrots, squash, sweet potatoes and peas lined up for him. I tasted the sweet potatoes and squash and thought it was nasty, but he seemed to like it!

Yummy!


Delish!



The other day, Gabe and I were hangin' outside and getting some air. Our Japanese neighbors came out -- the whole family -- mom, dad, two sons, plus a couple of other folks I didn't recognize. They had a tiny baby with them and beckoned us over. So, Gabe and I walked over and found out that the baby was their niece's son and two months old. My neighbor took a picture and disappeared into the house. Not three minutes later he came out with this picture of us: the two moms w/ our babies. I don't know if you can tell, but it's even laminated! I can't believe I don't remember our neighbor's names. I've asked a million times and keep forgetting to write it down and now it's too late to ask again. I mean we've known them almost three years now! Anyway, the baby's name is Natsuha, which means "summer".





This last shot is of a tiny little neighborhood festival they had down the road from us on Sunday night. My neighbor lady, whatever her name is, told me about it. There were kids there doing careful, slow-motion fan dances, there was what looked like an Okinawan opera type thing. Here you have kids dressed up as shisa. The old lady next to me (who grabbed Gabe and held him the whole time) said "shisa dance"! It was so cool. I loved the intimacy of the whole thing. It really was just a neighborhood gathering, under a bright full moon, young and old sitting on mats on the closed off street under my favorite banyon tree. I had a little love burst for Yomitan that night. I wish we had more photos, but for some reason, it just felt odd taking pictures while we were there.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?