Thursday, August 28, 2008

 

Trip to the Keramas and the Smoker Chicks

If you look out the window on a clear day, you can see some islands in the distance. If it's really clear, you'll make out some buildings on the islands. I've been looking at this year for almost three years now and wondered what was going on over there. What's it look like? What are people doing?

Tomorrow, we're going to find out! Joe, Gabe and I are hopping on the ferry and joining our friend Masaki and some of his buddies for a spearfishing/guitar jam extravaganza in the Keramas! From the little information I can get out of Joe, I gather that this is a "man's weekend", but they are nice enough to "let" me come join in the fun / give Joe a guilt-free spearfishing pass. Fine with me. I'm island hopping!

Hopefully Gabriel cooperates with the vision of relaxed beach bumming I have in mind. Or we could just boil in the sand under our shade tent, crying and sweating together. We'll let you know how it goes.


Guess what? This is totally off the topic, but I've made friends! Bad friends! I've made friends with the 16 year old smoker girls who hang out behind the church down the street. I met them on a walk one day and then took them some chocolate chip cookies. That's when I interrupted them secretly smoking! (tobacco, folks) I was like, oops, sorry! quickly dropped off the bag of cookies and ran back home. Ever since then, we've been pretty friendly. They love Gabe and whenever I take him out in the evening they come out and check out the baby. Last night they even stopped by the house for a visit. We invited them in and there was a lot of awkward silence. They speak no English. Joe and I no Japanese. They are 16 (I think they lied and are 15). I'm 32. They smoke. I don't. I wondered if their parents would kill me if they knew I invited their children inside my (a stranger's) house. Hey, I took them in off the rough and tumble streets of Yomitan, right? Anyway, we all hung out and watched Gabe do his tricks on the floor until I told them I had to give him a bath. So, it was...interesting.

Okay, off to watch School of Rock. Have a good weekend!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?