Monday, April 30, 2007

 

Ami's Place

One of my favorite things to do in a foreign land is to ingratiate myself with local barmen and women. Call me a lush, but what better place way to gain a little insight to the local language and culture, than by consuming an alcoholic beverage or two and chatting up the poor captive bar staff? For me, the quality of food or beverage I'm paying for isn't of primary importance. What I appreciate is friendliness and hospitality. In fact, it's not beyond me to buy stuff I don't even like or need, just to get some good quality local folk time.

In Yomitan, there are just two places where I might consider myself to have earned the right to call myself a regular. One is actually a hair cutting joint called, "Tarm Powder". The other one is the bar. It's called www.sobeichuan.com
I love it!

Why do I love sobe.com? Because the people are just so freakin' friendly there! It's run by a young couple just moved from Tokyo. Their names are Ami and I remember their names because Ami left a note on the car windshield (after leaving it at the bar to take a cab home)thanking us for our visit and asking us to come again! Now, if that's not going above and beyond, I don't know what is. Ami also ordered me one of the Don't Worry Be Happy t-shirts she wears as a uniform after I told her I liked it (after just one visit there, mind you!). It's really cute. I wear it all the time.

And www. seems to attract customers who are just as kind. On Friday I went and talked with an older bike shop owner/taxi driver, who after only about 15 minutes of chit-chatting picked up my whole tab. Not in a sleazy, "I'm trying to make a move on you" way either. In a "I'm an unbelievably nice and generous person" kind of way. A couple of weeks ago, a hip 60 year old lady transplanted from Tokyo, invited me to join her and some companions to a traditional dinner theater. Wow!

Anyway, I always seem to leave www.sobe full of feelings of wellbeing and rightness with the world, having invariably being treated with warmth and kindness, having eaten well and spoken with friendly and interesting people. And that's the kind of experience I seek, not just here, but anywhere. I hope that I can return the kindness.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?