Sunday, June 18, 2006

 

A Break in the Weather

I was informed this past week, at a book club meeting at the Macaroni Grill (it just opened on base - a huge event) that it had rained for twenty-two days straight. Twenty - two days. And I'm not talkin' little bitty rain either. I'm talkin' I'm feeling sorry for my windshield wipers rain. But yesterday, it stopped. And our old friend the sun appeared. And I was stuck in the frame shop, while others reveled outside. It felt almost like that movie where the kids live on Venus because the earth has died and it rains every day and nobody has ever seen the sun. Except for one little girl who used to live on earth. And all of the kids are jealous of her and hate her for it. But then they learn that the sun will appear for a couple of hours on Venus and everyone is excited and puts on special sunscreen, but they still can't quite believe it. And the mean kids play a trick on the girl and lock her in this dark room. Then all of the sudden, the sun comes out. The kids run outside and frolic in the sun and pick a bunch of flowers and forget about the little girl they'd locked in the room. But soon, the sun is covered by clouds and they go back to their school and suddenly remember that the little girl is still locked in the room and they feel terrible that she missed the sun and give her all of the flowers that they'd picked. I kind of felt like that girl, except for the fact that the sun was still out today, when I didn't have to work! So, Joe and I drove down the street and went snorkeling, as fast as we could, before it got cloudy. It was lovely and refreshing. But, sure enough, not an hour after we got home in came the clouds, away went the sun, and down fell the rain.

Comments:
Joe insinuated that no such movie existed. To prove to myself that I wasn't imagining it all up (if only I had such a fertile imagination), I did an internet search and found its title. If anyone can give me the name of the movie, you get ten points.

I'll give you a hint. It was originally a short story.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?