Tuesday, May 16, 2006

 

Hair and stuff

I got my hair cut! It looks really cute. (Matsy from work says I look like Julie Andrews (cool!) and sings Sound of Music to me every day now.) I was gonna go on base to cut my hair, but then I met these cool Japanese folks who run a coffee/art shop, and they recommended a hairdresser here in town. I thought, what the hell, might as well check it out. The lady (can't remember her name now, but her dog's name is Moogie) was really friendly and about my age. She is the only person who works in the salon -- she and her dog. I dug the hip vibe she had going on, with her Japanese hip-hop music. She spoke very little English, and of course my Japanese bites, so we communicated back and forth via my Lonely Planet phrasebook, smiles and hand gestures. I think the world would probably be a better place if communication were limited to body language and a phrasebook. Just think of your encounters with phrasebook/body language people, aren't they always so friendly and appreciative of each morsel of understanding? And if neither of you understand what the hell the other one is saying, you just kind of shrug your shoulders and everyone laughs. Well, anyhow the hair turned out just fine and I told the lady she could call me anytime, she said okay. Then of course it dawned on us that that would be pretty much pointless... so we both laughed. Nice, right?

Have a good one.

-K

Word of the day: "tomadachii" - friend

Comments:
Lets see a picture of the cut ,Julie?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?