Sunday, April 23, 2006

 

Boxing match

Today Joe and I went to a boxing match. It's the first boxing match I've ever been to, and I have to say, it was pretty fun. At first I was a little worried that I'd be the only female there except for the ring girls. But I wasn't -- there were quite a few ladies there and the "ring girls" were two little boys of maybe 7 or 8 years old. They were so thrilled to be out in the ring in front of everyone, strutting back and forth with the round cards raised high above their heads and big 'ole grins on their faces.

Watching a fight live is much better than watching one on TV (as Joe is doing at this very moment). My favorite part was the intro for each of the the fighters. The music would come up, the lights start flashing (and this was at 11am!)and just at the crescendo the boxer would come out and jump around to the cheers of the crowd. Joe would size up the chances of the fighters -- "See that guy. He's gonna get it...look how scared he is." And then, after they touched gloves and began the fight, a hush would fall over the entire crowd as we concentrated on the action before us.

I had thought that I might be disturbed at the sight of two men beating on each other, but truth be told, I wasn't. It reminded me a lot of fencing -- keeping your distance, looking for openings, taunting your opponent. I was a bit concerned about flying sweat; we were sitting about four rows back and the sweat was spraying out into the air. But it turned out that we were at a safe enough distance and we just enjoyed the fights -- three knockouts!

Everything else has been going pretty well here. Joe and I started scuba diving classes this week. Sheer hell. The classroom part of the instruction was fine, but it all went downhill once we got into the pool. First of all, it took seriously about 15 minutes for me to get my butt into the damn wetsuit. And then, it didn't even work. The water was freakin' freezing. We were in the shallow end of the pool practicing what to do in case we ran out of air or our little life vest deal failed to open or if we became too tired to swim anymore and other cheery tasks. The night air combined with the frigid pool temperature had my teeth chattering within about 10 minutes of entering. And we stayed in for about four more hours!!!

BREAKING NEWS!!!! REBECCA (SHLAGHECK) SANTELIA IS PREGNANT!!! DUE IN DECEMBER. CONGRATULATIONS REBECCA AND MICHAEL!!!

Well, this news has me wanting to take a little writing break. Plus it's almost midnight. So...more later!

-kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?