Thursday, February 09, 2006

 

Oops!

At home watching the Grammys. It seems like I'm at work all the time though. It's the schedule. 10-7 just chews up your day. Anyway, at least I'm learning a lot -- usually making an ass of myself in the process (Grammy note, Tom Hanks's hair looks horrid!) Example? Today, this couple comes into the frame shop and says that they want to do a shadow box. The guy places a flag and a beret and other things that he wants to have put in the box on the counter. I get Erika (my boss) to come help me and show me how to do the order. She's very good at this stuff and I love watching her put together projects with customers, plus I've never done a shadow box before, so I need her. Courtney, the admin assistant comes out to watch too. In the middle of the order (they take maybe 30 minutes or much, much longer) another customer comes in and I leave Erika with the couple to help him. When he leaves, I come back to the couple, Courtney, and Erika, and survey the collection of stuff they've laid out to go into the shadowbox: a bunch of coins, a beret, an armband with Arabic written on it, etc. I ask the guy, "So is this for you?" thinking that maybe he was planning it as a gift for someone in his platoon or something. "No, it's for her," he says, pointing to his wife. I look at the woman.

"OHH!!! It's for YOOUUUU???!!

I blurted it out, just like that. (Aaaahhhh!!!) Frantically, I searched my mind for nice things to say so she wouldn't kick my ass... "Ummm...your shadowbox is gonna look great...Hey, where's that coin from? That's neat!"

Oh yeah...women can be in the military too! (I'm such a jerk!) Luckily, I suppose, Erika and Courtney thought the episode was pretty humorous.

So anyway, there are lots of women in the service now. At least there seem to be many more females in the military than I remember from growing up in a military community as a kid. But, I keep forgetting or something! Whenever I meet a woman in civilian clothing, particularly an older woman, and then learn that she's a soldier, I'm shocked! The other day at work, for example, this group of ladies came out of the pottery studio asking about framing classes. I would never have thought they were in the military. They were just so, sweet and friendly and, well, girlie. Today though, they came back to pick up the cups they'd thrown -- giggling and laughing about their crazy creations -- dressed in uniforms! And they were like Colonels and Admirals! You can pretty much always tell when a guy is a soldier no matter what he's wearing, but when a gal is in her civvies, she's just a woman. So, I have an excuse, right? Or maybe I've got some stereotypes I need to examine?

Well, I'm tired. Off to bed. Besos -kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?