Monday, January 09, 2006

 

Work and Kimonos

So, we didn't move into our house this weekend. There were a bunch of documents that needed to get signed, appointments to be made,Japanese holidays, etc. So now as it turns out, Wednesday is the day Joe and I finally get our first load of household goods delivered to our new home in Yomitan, Okinawa. Thursday is the second day. And then Friday, I suppose, is when we get our government furniture. Uncle Sam is gonna loan us a nice functional only slightly beat up sofa, dining room table, chairs and other furniture essentials until we get our own. (So nice of him.) To prepare for the challenge of government-furniture-interior designing, I bought a couple of home decor magazines. My hope is that skilled feng shui placement can compensate for what the gov't pieces lack in style. Plus, remember, I'm a framer now; so, soon the walls of our home will be filled with tastefully framed prints and paintings! Lovely and cozy home, here we come!

Yesterday I saw girls walking down the streets in kimonos! Not many. Only two. But, it was so different and surprising, even here in Okinawa, that it stood out. They looked beautiful. One of Joe's Japanese colleagues said yesterday was a holiday for twenty year olds. Apparently, those people who have turned twenty during the past year go through special ceremonies. I don't know what they are, but they involve visiting the school they graduated from, dressing up, and then celebrating afterwards. Hence the kimonos. I want one!

Well, not that much more going on. Started the tedious MCCS (Marine Corps Community Services) orientation for work. Two days of boredom, but actually glad they have it. Also, trying to figure out what classes I wanna take with the tuition assistance they give me. Joe's been working very hard in his new job - long hours of crime solving. Plus, he's now on the NCIS volleyball team. By the way just in case you start to get the wrong idea here, not all marines here are criminals and killers (just the ones Joe happens to work with!) The receptionists/my Japanese teachers at the hotel here taught me a new phrase. Wanna learn it?

"Tsukale mashita"

It means, "I'm tired."

So, Bye! Love, Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?