Friday, December 16, 2005

 

We're Here!!!

So, I'm sitting at the computer looking out over the Okinawa night to the East China Sea. Cars are whizzing by. Tiny Japanese ones. It's night time and if it weren't dark yet, I would be able to see the buildings of Camp Foster (including the Macaroni Grill which is now under construction). But now all I see are loads of lights. I'm very very tired. It's 6:30 pm.

The flight was uneventful. Lots and lots of kids and young people. It's weird 'cause the military has definitely changed from what I remember it to be. I mean, I remember lots of skinhead dudes with tight t-shirts with sleeves rolled up and peg legged pants. Now, everyone looks cool and fashionable. Anyway, we saw a couple of crappy movies. Ate food, yaddah yaddah. My seat companion was 2 years old and we had a lot of deep conversation about her dog Jada (Joe was on the other side, but he was in full crossword mode.)

We stopped at Yakota Air Force Base for a couple of hours doing...I have no idea what. We got off the plane, walked in a line, showed our orders and passports waited an hour watching basketball on Armed Forces Network and then got back on. On the next leg of the trip I started thinking about what would be in store for us in Okinawa. Where would I work? Who would we hang out with? Where would we live? Would people be friendly? I've thought of this stuff before, of course, but now it was for real!

We landed at Kadena AFB in Okinawa and it took a while to "deplane". (" The soldiers behind us yelled in mock drill Sergeant, "You've got 60 seconds to de-ass yourself from this goddam aircraft!" which I thought was funny. Joe thought is was uncouth.) Finally we got off though, got our nifty red luggage, went through customs My heart started racing when I saw my first real Japanese guy in the terminal! I was so excited. Joe told me to go talk to him in my one phrase of Japanese, but I didn't think he cared that my name is Kelly so we just kept on.

Goodness, I'm writing a lot. I didn't realize I had so much to say!

Anyway, our sponsors were supposed to meet us and I asked Joe how we'd know who they were. Well, the fine military had thought that all out for us.. As we left the baggage claim area this woman asked for our last name and then shouted out "Sponsors for Garcia, Joe". I scanned the room, ready to be disappointed and find our own way to wherever we were staying. But then one, two, three hands raised and then this herd of people ushered us out the door. Women and men were sticking out their hands. "Hi I'm Sonya!" "I'm Pete, nice to meet you!" "Karen O'Connor." "Michelle." My mind was whirling. Half of Joe's office came out to meet us!!! We were the most popular family in the whole daggum place!

After everyone got done greeting us, our real sponsors, Karen and Pete whisked us into a tiny van with the steering wheel on the wrong side and off to our TLQ (Temporary Living Quarters. Military/gov't folks are put up in them till we find housing) on Camp Foster. Dude...this ain't the TLQ that I remember being in as a kid. The military is movin' on up apparently. Let me describe our room. First of all, I'm working on the Dell computer that's in it. Nice and new looking. Joe is at this moment playing on our play station. We have a small Aiwa bedside stereo. TV with, no not just AFN, but BBC, CNN and TBS and a bunch of Japanese stations. Actually, now AFN is many channels: AFN News, AFN Sports, AFN Movies... Who knew! Our awesome sponsors stocked our pantry with groceries and we have a beautiful new microwave and fridge and stove top. There's a sweet gym down the hall with up-to-date looking equipment. And to top it off Santa Claus is stopping by on Monday.

Whew! Karen and Pete gave us the lowdown on everything from driving to real estate to pottery class to Sunday brunch. Tomorrow we've got a date for Mongolian BBQ.

So. I think my fingers are worn out. I meant this to be a quick, "Hello, we're safe." But, I'm excited now and I feel good and weirdly energetic (despite my exhaustion). After the sponsors left, Joe was like, "Isn't it amazing how cool everything is just 'cause you are in another country... .like those kids walking down the street in their uniforms and the crazy signs and the cars?" Yes! So, now I'm gonna look at some maps and browse through the goodie bag Karen and Pete gave us (maps, work cell phone for Joe -- already charged! with numbers programmed in!, magazines, etc.)


Take care y'all. Love you! Write us!

-Kelly and Joe

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?